Del Potro provides status update, but no return date
Juan Martin del Potro has clarified that he has not yet begun hitting on court after wrist surgery in May but did not give a timeline on his return.
"I haven't picked up a racquet yet so I can't tell an exact date," del Potro wrote on his Twitter account. "When I know I'll tell you the news here. I'm improving, that's a good thing."
Earlier in the day, del Potro's physiotherapist told Argentine media that his player would only return at the ATP tour event in Bangkok, which takes place after the U.S. Open. On Thursday, the USTA said it had been told del Potro was recovering faster than anticipated and was expected to play the U.S. Open.