Return to tour in sight for Open champ Del Potro

by: TENNIS.com | July 15, 2010

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

TENNIS.com

Juan Martin del Potro says a post-surgery medical examination of his wrist has shown positive signs.
 
"The doctor is happy with the progress," he said on his Twitter account. "Now we have to keep strengthening [it] and then be ready for the racquet."
 
Shortly after undergoing wrist surgery in May, del Potro said he would not be able to defend his U.S. Open title and speculated he might not return till November.
 
Now, he says he may return in time for Argentina's Davis Cup semifinal against France. The tie takes place the week after the U.S. Open, suggesting that del Potro may be able to play at Flushing Meadows after all.
 
"Davis Cup is a good date for returning to the tour, I hope I can come back sooner," del Potro told Argentine press earlier this week. "I don't want to have any illusions because I don't know when I can return to [playing with the] racquet. But I'll train hard to prepare."
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

More Stories

John Isner becomes second man to win title without facing break point

Isner won Newport for the third time of his career this past weekend. 

WATCH: Hall of Famer Monique Kalkman on her legendary career

The 52-year-old was a four-time ITF world champion and four-time Paralympic gold medalist.

Doctor: Novak Djokovic has bone bruise, is unlikely to play U.S. Open

Djokovic will need rehab on his elbow and still wants to avoid surgery.