Spanish women sticking to boycott plans

Saturday, September 18, 2010 /by

Arantxa Parra Santonja has told EFE that the top Spanish women are sticking to their plans to boycott the first round of Fed Cup next year despite a statement from the Spanish federationattempting to counter their concerns.

Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez, Anabel Medina Garrigues, Parra, Carla Suarez Navarro, Nuria Llagostera Vives and Lourdes Dominguez Lino sent a letter to the federation earlier this week. It voiced objections to specific decisions made by the federation which they felt showed "a total lack of support and interest" towards the women's game in Spain.

The federation released a detailed response and said it had committed to putting more money into the women's game.

"We respect their opinion but maintain what we said in the letter," said Parra. "...the federation committed to do some things at a meeting last year and have not."

Parra added that the players will meet again in November to discuss the situation.

Before commenting, please read our Posting Guidelines.

Subscribe to Tennis Magazine - Just $10 per year
Top Ranked Players
More Rankings