Nestor and Mirnyi to split

by: Tennis.com | September 13, 2012

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

TENNIS.com

The doubles team of Daniel Nestor and Max Mirnyi will end their partnership at the end of this season, the Canadian journalist Tom Tebbutt reported in hisoblog.  The pair played together for two years, won two Roland Garros titles, and reached No. 1.

“Max isn’t confirmed to play a full season next year, he’s a little bit skeptical about his elbow,” Nestor said. “It’s a little bit hard for me to wait until the last second to see what he’s going to do. So I just decided to switch.”

Nestor, 40, will team up with 38-year-old Indian Mahesh Bhupathi, who has been playing with his countryman Rohan Bopanna.

“He’s eager and I’ve had a lot respect for his accomplishments over the years,” said Nestor, who has won 79 doubles titles in his career. “He’s a great doubles player and he has great doubles instincts. I feel that if he can make the transition well to the other side (the deuce court), we can be a very good team.”

Nestor also told Tebbutt that next year, Nenad Zimonjic will play with Robert Linstedt, and Mirnyi will  play with Horia Tecau.

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

More Stories

Milos Raonic and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga reach Lyon semifinals

Raonic defeated Gastao Elias in straights and Tsonga beat Karen Khachanov, 6-0, 6-4. 

Last Year Today: More Than a Roof—Roland Garros' construction woes

Players joined the campaign for a #NouveauRolandGarros.

Kei Nishikori saves three match points in Geneva Open quarterfinal win

The No. 9-ranked Japanese player will face 33rd-ranked Mischa Zverev in the semifinals.