Mathieu replaces injured Monaco in Kooyong exo

by: AP January 08, 2013

MELBOURNE, Australia -- Juan Monaco of Argentina has pulled out of the Kooyong Classic exhibition tournament with a hand injury and has been replaced by Paul-Henri Mathieu of France.

Tournament director Colin Stubbs said Monaco "has been advised by the doctor not to play in the next few days with the hope that he can take his place in the Australian Open."

Monaco is seeded 11th for the Australian Open, which begins next Monday. That's one better than his world ranking of 12 because of the absence No. 4 Rafael Nadal.

Stubbs also said last year's Australian Open quarterfinalist Kei Nishikori was uncertain for the eight-man tournament due to the left knee injury that forced him to pull out of his Brisbane International semifinal against eventual champion Andy Murray.

More Stories

San Diego Aviators win first World TeamTennis title

Ryan Harrison clinched the championship against the Orange County Breakers in Forest Hills.

Agnieszka Radwanksa routs Petra Kvitova, 6-1, 6-1, to reach New Haven final

She’ll face Elina Svitolina, who beat Johanna Larsson.