Nadal withdraws from Sao Paulo doubles to rest knee

by: AP | February 14, 2013

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

Tags: Rafael Nadal

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

SAO PAULO (AP)—Rafael Nadal withdrew from doubles at the Brazil Open to rest his sore left knee ahead of his opening singles.

Nadal will play Brazilian Joao Souza in singles on Thursday. Souza was leading Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo 7-6 (6) when the Spaniard retired because of a right ankle injury.

Nadal had won his doubles match with David Nalbandian on Tuesday.

Last week, Nadal reached the singles and doubles finals in Chile, his first tournament after being sidelined more than seven months because of knee the injury. He lost both finals.

Nadal says his knee is improving considerably, but adds there are days when it still bothers him.

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

More Stories

#MondayMotivation: Believe in yourself and your ability

Nick Bollettieri says that you should "never never doubt your ability."

Jana Novotna remembered fondly by compatriots, fans and playing peers

“When I think of Jana, the word ‘perseverance’ comes to mind,” says Ivan Lendl.

WATCH: The WTA 125K Hawaii Open is streaming live on TENNIS.com

The WTA event is held at the Patsy T. Mink Central Oahu Regional Park.