Nadal pulls out of next week's Miami Masters

by: Matt Cronin | March 17, 2013

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

Tags: Rafael Nadal

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

Rafael Nadal has pulled out of next week's Sony Open in Miami, the tournament announced. Nadal, who won the singles final in Indian Wells, has said that he doesn't want to overplay on hard courts, as he just returned to the tour last month after seven months off due to knee trouble.

Nadal added that he was sad he couldn't go to Miami, but he never thought he would be able to play as many matches as he has in the past six weeks (19 in all).

“The doctors recommend me to be back home for a few weeks and rest a little bit and keep practicing the right way,” he said. “I need more power on the left leg quadriceps, so I need to keep working hard. The competition is hard for the body, so after four fantastic weeks I can't go to Miami. I need to prepare and rest for [Monte Carlo].”

Roger Federer has also decided to skip Miami this year. Other withdrawals include Samantha Stosur, Mardy Fish, Ernests Gulbis, Stan Wawrinka and Radek Stepanek. Victoria Azarenka is also questionable with a right foot injury.

However, both Serena Williams and Venus Williams, who skipped Indian Wells, are scheduled to play Miami, as is Li Na, who hasn’t played since reaching the Australian Open final due to a calf injury.

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

More Stories

ATP Finals semi previews: Federer vs. Goffin; Dimitrov vs. Sock

This weekend should feature some great matches, but only two men can advance to the final.

Dimitrov demolishes Carreno Busta to finish 3-0 in Group Pete Sampras

The Bulgarian is set to face Jack Sock in the semifinals. 

Goffin tops Thiem 6-4, 6-1 to set up ATP Finals semifinal with Federer

The Belgian finished round-robin play with a 2-1 record.