Hewitt: 2014 Aussie Open won’t be my last

by: Matt Cronin | December 13, 2013

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

Wikimedia Commons

Lleyton Hewitt says he has no plans to retire at the end of the 2014 season. Speaking to reporters while promoting the Brisbane International, the 32-year-old Aussie reportedly laughed when asked if January's Australian Open would be his last.

The former No. 1 is currently ranked No. 60 but reached the fourth round of the U.S. Open, the final of Newport, and the semifinals of Atlanta and Queens in 2013. At the Australian Open, Hewitt lost to Janko Tipsarevic in the first round.

“[The Australian Open] won’t be the last. I can’t see myself finishing at the end of the year at the European indoor tournaments. I am just going out there and enjoying it,” Hewitt said.

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

More Stories

Svitolina defends Italian Open title as Halep is injured again

Halep was treated by a trainer for an apparent back problem.

After lopsided loss in Rome, Naomi Osaka introspective and indecisive

"I'm trying to figure out what type of person I am," she said after a 6-1, 6-0 defeat.

Close to becoming No. 1, Vesnina, Makarova appear to split in doubles

The Russians had been playing together since 2012 and just won the title in Madrid.