Grass-court swing expanded to three weeks in 2015

by: Matt Cronin February 10, 2014

TENNIS.com

The ATP grass-court tournament in Eastbourne will move to Nottingham next year. The Lawn Tennis Association announced that the tournament will take place the week before Wimbledon in 2015, but the women’s event will stay in Eastbourne.

In 2015, the pre-Wimbledon grass-court swing will expand to three weeks and be comprised of events in Stuttgart, ‘s-Hertogenbosch, London (Queen’s Club), Halle, and Nottingham.

Queen’s Club and Halle will be re-categorized as ATP World Tour 500 events, which the tour says will bring the grass-court season additional weight.

“The extended grass-court season, with additional Emirates ATP Rankings points at stake, is a positive step forward,” said Chris Kermode, ATP Executive Chairman & President. “One of our assets as a sport is to provide for variance across playing surfaces throughout the season, so the strengthening of the grass-court season is a significant enhancement for the overall calendar.”

More Stories

Rajeev Ram has reignited tennis fervor in the Hoosier State

Ram, a former NCAA doubles champion, started EntouRaj for Kids. 

Double Duty: Davis Cup captain Yannick Noah to skipper Fed Cup side

The 56-year-old Noah previously took charge of the Fed Cup team from 1997-98. 

Becker: Novak Djokovic didn't spend enough time on practice court

"Our hands were tied a little bit because we couldn't do the work we wanted to do."