Robredo, Granollers reach Buenos Aires second round

by: AP February 11, 2014

AP Photo

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP)—Third-seeded Tommy Robredo reached the second round of the Copa Claro clay court tournament with a 6-4, 6-4 win over fellow-Spaniard Pablo Carreno Busta on Monday.

Robredo, ranked No. 16, bounced back from an upset loss to Leonardo Mayer in the second round of the Royal Guard Open in Chile last week to down Carreno Busta in 1 hour, 25 minutes.

On a day filled mostly with qualifying matches, fifth-seeded Marcel Granollers of Spain also entered the second with a 7-5, 3-6, 6-2 win over Aljaz Bedene of Slovenia, while Guido Pella of Argentina defeated Guillermo Garcia-Lopez of Spain 7-6 (6), 6-4 to advance.

Argentina's Carlos Berlocq defeated Joao Sousa of Portugal 6-4, 6-2 and Pablo Andujar of Spain came back to beat Argentina's Federico Delbonis 3-6, 7-5, 6-1.

Spaniard David Ferrer is the top seed followed by Fabio Fognini of Italy, who won the Royal Guard Open. It was his third ATP Tour title — all on clay.
 

More Stories

Angelique Kerber's coach reveals hairy superstition

Though Torben Beltz's beard is short for now, there's no doubt he'll be putting the razor down again in the near future. 

WTA CEO Steve Simon wants shorter matches, more Premier Mandatory events

The solution, Simon said, might be to implement no-ad scoring and super tiebreaks. 

Turkish tennis officials banned for life for manipulating scores

The ITF says Serkan Aslan and Mehmet Ulker had their officiating certifications permanently revoked.