Del Potro to undergo wrist surgery on Monday

by: AP | March 23, 2014

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

AP Photo

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. -- Former U.S. Open champion Juan Martin del Potro will undergo surgery on his left wrist Monday and is expected to be sidelined for at least several months.

Del Potro said his wrist has bothered him off and on for two years. He underwent surgery on his right wrist in 2010 and was off the tour for eight months.

In a statement on his Facebook page, del Potro said the latest operation was scheduled following an examination Sunday. The operation will be performed by Dr. Richard Berger of Rochester, Minn., who also performed the earlier surgery.

"Obviously, it's not the easiest choice or the happiest moment of my career," del Potro said. "I experienced a similar situation and I know how hard it is to be out of the tour, the desire to return, the endless weeks of recovery and how difficult it is to start fighting for the top spots in the rankings again."

Del Potro withdrew from the Sony Open on Wednesday before his first match. He has played only 10 matches this year and is ranked eighth.

He won the U.S. Open in 2009.

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

More Stories

Your chance to win a once-in-a-lifetime vacation to Australia

Enter for a chance to win airfare, accommodations and tickets to the 2019 Australian Open.

Wozniacki rallies from the brink to defeat Fett in three sets

This could be the win the 27-year-old needed to propel her to her first Grand Slam title. 

Down 5-2 in the fifth set, Tsonga rallied to get revenge on Shapovalov

The Frenchman was unexpectedly eliminated by the 18-year-old at last year's US Open.