After Miami victory, Hingis ready for more doubles

by: Kamakshi Tandon April 01, 2014

AP Photo

Martina Hingis is ready to play more doubles after winning the Miami title with Sabine Lisicki.

Hingis and Lisicki also played Indian Wells, losing a tight battle in the first round (6-4, 6-7, 10-6 to Ashleigh Barty and Casey Dellacqua) and leaving the Swiss unwilling to commit to a comeback. The 33-year-old former No. 1, ostensibly retired from playing, also played five doubles events with Daniela Hantuchova last year before stopping again until the pairing with Lisicki at Indian Wells. 

"I think two weeks ago when you asked me, it probably would be a completely different answer from today," Hingis said after their win. "Like last week, I was like, I'm not sure if I want to put myself out there like this and lose first, second round.

"Now, after this victory, definitely things change."

Hingis, who is also coaching Lisicki, said it would be up to the German how much they played. Lisicki is only playing singles at Charleston.

"Sabine's next week priority is singles, and see how that goes in the next tournament," said Hingis. "But yeah, well, I would be very happy to continue to play some more doubles, of course."

More Stories

Muguruza retires mid-match, sending Wozniacki into Miami quarterfinals

Wozniacki still has not dropped a set in the tournament. 

Just say no to on-court coaching

One of tennis’ greatest assets is its emphasis on self-reliance. 

Raonic, sidelined with hamstring strain, unsure when he'll return

The Canadian said he won't come back until he's 100 percent.