Nadal seeks ninth Barcelona title after unexpected loss

by: AP | April 21, 2014

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

AP Photos

BARCELONA, Spain -- Top-ranked Rafael Nadal gets an immediate chance to shake off his surprisingly early exit at the Monte Carlo Masters by going for his ninth Barcelona Open title this week.

The Spaniard is hoping to recover his clay-court form after a quarterfinal loss to David Ferrer in Monaco, where the eight-time champion made his earliest exit since 2003.

Nadal acknowledged that his confidence is shaken following the Australian Open final loss to Stanislas Wawrinka, and says his state of mind "is what it is."

Nadal said Monday that "I started the season OK except for some lack of confidence and competitiveness in important moments of certain matches."

He added that "I've faced adversities throughout my career, and this is just another one."

Nadal opens play later this week.

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

More Stories

Splendor in the Grass: On turf triumphs by Federer, Kvitova, Lopez

Four takeaways from last weekend's great spread of grass-court tennis.

John McEnroe: Serena Williams would be ranked 'like 700' on ATP tour

The seven-time Grand Slam champion made the statement on NPR while promoting his memoir.

A day after title win, Kvitova pulls out of Eastbourne with ab injury

Last week was Kvitova's second tournament of the season.