Monaco rolls, Nieminen falls in Dusseldorf

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

AP

DUSSELDORF, Germany (AP)—Defending champion Juan Monaco eased past Benjamin Becker 6-2, 6-1 to reach the second round of the Dusseldorf Open on Tuesday.

But last year's runner-up Jarkko Nieminen crashed out despite winning the first set against Denis Istomin. Istomin fired 10 aces and won 6-7 (5), 6-3, 6-2 to even his career record against Nieminen at 3-3.

A former Top 10 player, Monaco has struggled with a right-wrist injury and has fallen to No. 54.

But he easily disposed of Becker, who is not comfortable on clay.

Monaco says that as defending champion in Dusseldorf he feels ''comfortable here, everything is familiar.''

Also, qualifier Mate Delic defeated Michal Przysiezny 7-5, 7-5 and Nikolay Davydenko beat Dudi Sela 6-3, 6-1.

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

More Stories

Security measures for French Open relatively unchanged from 2016

There will be a slight increase in the amount of security officers at Roland Garros. 

In a GIF: Novak Djokovic tests out new Lacoste shirt

The world No. 2 made yet another change ahead of the French Open.

Juan Martin del Potro could miss French Open because of injuries

"I feel pain in the shoulder and back," Del Potro said.