World No. 1 Angelique Kerber, who lost to Anett Kontaveit in Rome on Wednesday, admitted that she is not at her best on clay.
The German lost to Kristina Mladenovic in the first round in Stuttgart, to Eugenie Bouchard in the round of 16 in Madrid, and on Wednesday she was upset by the 21-year-old Kontaveit.
“I’m not feeling so well on this surface,” Kerber said in Rome. “I think that my movement is not the best, especially on clay. I think my legs are always important for my game, but I really [am] not feeling so good on [the] clay court.
"I will try to [go] back home and [think], ‘What can I do to be back in Paris?’ I mean, this is the next big goal.”
She is 19-11 on the season.
Last year, Kerber won the Australian Open and the U.S. Open, but was upset in the first round of the French Open by Kiki Bertens.
The surface is still giving her problems.
“I mean, everybody knows I'm not a clay-court specialist,” Kerber said.
· Get Tennis Channel Plus for Roland Garros to watch 200 live matches from up to five courts, starting with the Qualifying Rounds.
· Watch the Best of Roland Garros 2016 on-demand at any time
· Get Tennis Channel Plus for all of Roland Garros, as well as 650+ live events all year long
· Tennis Channel Plus is available on any streaming device, on mobile, always on the GO (desktop, iOS, Android, Apple TV, Roku and Amazon Fire)
· Subscribe today at BuyTCPlus.com