Ankle injury forces No. 20 Hyeon Chung to withdraw from French Open

by: AP | May 23, 2018

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

Hyeon Chung, the 22-year-old Australian Open semifinalist, also pulled out of his match in Lyon. (AP)

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — Surprise Australian Open semifinalist Chung Hyeon won't have a chance to repeat his Grand Slam heroics at the French Open: the 22-year-old Korean withdrew from the year's second major on Wednesday with a persistent ankle injury.

Chung, who had to retire in his semifinal against eventual champion Roger Federer at Melbourne Park in January because of severe blisters, said he had been carrying the ankle injury through the clay-court season. He had earlier withdrawn from the Lyon Open and Italian Open.

In a post on Twitter the 20th-ranked Chung said: "Unfortunately I had to withdraw from Lyon yesterday and now Roland Garros. I have been struggling with an ankle injury during the entire clay season. An MRI scan has revealed that I have build up of fluid in the ankle joint which might require a small procedure and then an extended period of rest."

The French Open begins Sunday.

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

More Stories

Laver Cup ups the coolness factor behind stars, arena and enthusiasm

The event gives off an aura of prestige that everyone wants a ticket to. 

WATCH My Tennis Life: Safarova loves Quebec City

The Czech is playing Coupe Banque Nationale next week.

WATCH My Tennis Life: Donaldson hits the books

The 21-year-old American is recovering from knee injury since pulling out of the US Open.