At the Kooyong Classic exhibition event, Tomic sealed the match with a trick serve between his legs, something that Kyrgios is more noted for doing during a match. The move left Kyrgios laughing and shaking his head.
Kyrgios, who lost in the second round at the Brisbane International last week, had a break point early in the second but was unable to consolidate with Tomic then breaking at 3-3.
Kyrgios said he was happy to see Tomic back in form after missing the Australian Open last year when his ranking plummeted.
"I don't think there has ever been a player like BT," Kyrgios said. "It is great to see him back out here as I know he was going through some rough times. He won a title last year and it looks like he is carrying a bit of momentum."
In an earlier match, Marin Cilic outlasted Kevin Anderson 6-3, 4-6 and 15-13 in a pro set tiebreaker.
This Week on Tennis Channel and Tennis Channel Plus
ATP/WTA Sydney (1/5 to 1/12)
• Stefanos Tsitsipas, Frances Tiafoe, Simona Halep and Sloane Stephens headline the Sydney International. Watch live coverage on Tennis Channel Plus.
WTA Hobart (1/5 to 1/11)
• Watch the action from the Hobart International featuring Caroline Garcia, Belinda Bencic and Maria Sakkari.
ATP Auckland (1/6 to 1/11)
• See John Isner and Fabio Fognini live on Tennis Channel Plus beginning Monday, Jan. 7 at 6:00 pm ET.
FAST 4—Sydney (1/7)
• The game’s best compete in the always entertaining Fast4 format, with appearances by Nick Kyrgios, Grigor Dimitrov and Milos Raonic. Live coverage begins on Monday, Jan. 7 at 3:30pm ET.
World Tennis Challenge—Adelaide (1/7 to 1/9)
• Watch Borna Coric, CoCo Vandeweghe and Victoria Azarenka live from Adelaide starting Monday, Jan. 7 at 3:00 am ET.
AO Qualifying Rounds (1/8 to 1/11)
• Australian Open officially begins with qualifying action. Tennis Channel Plus has fall the action live! Coverage begins Tuesday, Jan. 8 at 6:00 pm ET.