Juan Martin del Potro still plans to return at Delray Beach

Juan Martin del Potro still plans to return at Delray Beach

The 30-year-old fractured his kneecap at the end of the 2018 season, but he is feeling a lot better and is nearing his return.

Juan Martin del Potro has confirmed he still plans to return to competition at Delray Beach in two weeks. The Argentine has not played since he fractured his kneecap at Shanghai, but says he is eager to compete following his layoff.

"I know I have to go slowly and my plan is to practice a lot and play a couple of tournaments to allow me to get some rhythm," he told ESPN Argentina.

The 30-year-old had been weighing whether or not to play in Delray Beach, but he has been practicing as much as possible in Tandil, Argentina.

"I know it's going to be difficult. It is my first competition," he said. "I am going little by little but I have the desire to return to competition and the motivation to come back. I've done it before." 

Before injury finished his season, del Potro was on his best run since returning from wrist surgery—he won Indian Wells, reached the final of the US Open, and hit a career-high in the rankings.

The former Grand Slam champion would be the top seed at Delray Beach.


ATP Cordoba: Mon - Sun, 2/4 - 2/10
Starting Monday, 2/4 at 1:30 p.m. ET, catch live coverage of the Cordoba Open featuring top seeds Fabio Fognini and Diego Schwartzman.

ATP Montpellier: Tue - Sun, 2/5 - 2/10
Watch Lucas Pouille, Denis Shapovalov and Gilles Simon live on Tennis Channel Plus beginning Tuesday, 2/5 at 10:00 a.m. ET.

USTA Men's Pro Circuit – Dallas: Mon - Sun, 2/4 - 2/10
Tennis Channel Plus features live coverage of USTA Dallas matches beginning Monday, 2/4 12:00 p.m. ET

Fed Cup Quarterfinals: Sat - Sun, 2/9 - 2/10
Tennis Channel Plus is your home for Fed Cup action! Watch first to last ball action beginning at 7:00 a.m. ET on Saturday, 2/9