On Saturday, Serena Williams fell to Simona Halep, 6-2, 6-2, in the Wimbledon final, falling one match short for the third time in her quest to equal Margaret Court's all-time record of 24 major titles. For Halep, she became the 10th active WTA player to win multiple majors. Here are the Top 5 photos from the women's championship.
1. Two is better than one: After racing past the 23-time Grand Slam champion in the final to secure her second Slam, the Romanian and the Venus Rosewater Dish are inseparable. She was contesting her first Grand Slam final since claiming her maiden major at the 2018 French Open.
2. Still searching for answers: Since becoming a mom in September of 2017, the seven-time Wimbledon champion is yet to come through in the latter stages of a major, having lost in the 2018 Wimbledon final, 2018 US Open final, and 2019 Australian Open quarterfinals.
3. Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex, showed her support for the second time this fortnight for her close friend Serena. She also attended last year's final, when the American finished runner-up to Angelique Kerber.
4. The look of joy: Halep defeated the American for the first time since 2014. She had lost six straight matches, and is now 2-9 against the tennis legend. It was their first meeting in a major final, though Williams had defeated Halep three times on the Grand Slam stage.
5. Gracious champions: Halep and Williams expressed nothing but respect in their on-court interviews, taking in the moment as Halep completed her victory lap. Halep will return to No. 4 in Monday's rankings, while Serena is projected to rise to her highest as a mother, up a spot to No. 9.