Fan voting is back for International Tennis Hall of Fame's historic Class of 2024 nomineesBy Sep 27, 2023
Tennis power couple Anastasia Potapova, Alexander Shevchenko get marriedDec 01, 2023
WATCH: Carlos Alcaraz wows Iga Swiatek with hot shot at Mexico City exhibitionBy Nov 30, 2023
AC Milan fans give Davis Cup hero Jannik Sinner a welcome home to rememberBy Nov 29, 2023
Felix Auger-Aliassime salutes Canadian tennis after Davis Cup exit, BJK Cup victoryBy Nov 28, 2023
Casper Ruud inspires next generation at Norwegian primary schoolBy Nov 27, 2023
Ajla Tomljanovic breaks internet with fabulous Florianopolis cat trophyBy Nov 27, 2023
Anastasija Sevastova set for WTA comeback in AndorraBy Nov 26, 2023
Pics with penguins and a cold-water plunge: Caroline Garcia is in AntarcticaBy Nov 26, 2023
Anett Kontaveit celebrates career, toasts retirement in Tallinn and ViennaBy Nov 24, 2023
Fan voting is back for International Tennis Hall of Fame's historic Class of 2024 nominees
India's Leander Paes became the first Asian man nominated to the International Tennis Hall of Fame in the Player category on Tuesday.
Published Sep 27, 2023
The International Tennis Hall of Fame unveiled its list of nominees for its Class of 2024 on Tuesday—and once again, tennis fans will get a chance to weigh in on who will receive one of the sport's highest honors.
Six ATP and WTA players have been nominated in the Player Category, which recognizes players who have achieved a “distinguished” record of competitive achievement at the highest international level, while two more, while two more names have been recognized in the Contributor Category.
Tennis fans will get to cast their vote in the Player Category, with the top three vote-getters in the Fan Vote receiving bonus percentage points on their result from the Official Voting Group—a group that includes tennis journalists, historians, and Hall of Famers.
The Class of 2024 Player Category nominees are:
- Ana Ivanović of Serbia, a former WTA world No. 1 and 2008 French Open champion
- Carlos Moyá of Spain, winner of the 1998 French Open and a former ATP world No. 1
- Flavia Pennetta of Italy, a former WTA doubles world No. 1 and 2015 US Open singles champion
- Cara Black of Zimbabwe, a former WTA doubles world No. 1 and a 10-time Grand Slam champion in doubles and mixed doubles
- Daniel Nestor of Canada, a former ATP doubles world No. 1 and winner of 12 major titles in doubles and mixed doubles
- Leander Paes of India, winner of 18 Grand Slam titles in doubles and mixed doubles and a former ATP doubles world No. 1
Paes, a new addition to the ballot while the other five players return in the Player Category, has made history as the first Asian man nominated for the Hall of Fame in that category.
“It means the world to me that I am the first Asian man to be nominated for the International Tennis Hall of Fame in the Player Category,” Paes said. “After three decades of passion for our sport and playing for 1.3-plus billion Indians in the Olympics and Davis Cup, I am thrilled that my hard work has been recognized…
“Tennis has given me so much, and I hope this nomination inspires every young kid around the world that with passion in your heart, hard work and belief in yourself, you too can become a champion.”
This year's online fan voting runs from Wednesday, 27 September to Monday, 9 October—visit vote.tennisfame.com to cast your vote.
The ballot also includes two nominees in the Contributor category, which is considered every two years. The category recognizes tennis’ “true pioneers” and visionary leaders, as well as individuals and groups who have made a transcendent impact on the sport.
The Class of 2024 Contributor Category nominees are:
- Vijay Amritraj, a former player and longtime broadcaster who has broken barriers and worked to spread the sport of tennis on and off the court
- Richard Evans, a renowned tennis journalist and historian who has spent a lifetime contributing to the sport’s growth and global reach
Candidates must receive a vote of at least 75 percent or higher from the combined total of the Official Voting Group result, and any bonus percentage points earned in the Fan Vote, to be elected into the Hall of Fame.
After the voting period, the official Class of 2024 inductees will be announced later this fall.