Kyrgios and Kyrie Irving collab on new Nike shoeBy Jan 09, 2019
"The hardest launch I've ever seen": Paula Badosa, Stefanos Tsitsipas unveil Tsitsidosa InstagramBy Jun 10, 2023
Quote of the Day: Carlos Alcaraz reveals how "the tension" of facing Djokovic triggered full-body crampsBy Jun 09, 2023
'The grass is always greener': Venus Williams hard-launches summer returnBy Jun 09, 2023
Social Reaction: Carlos Alcaraz steals the show, but Novak Djokovic clinches victory as cramps mar blockbuster semifinalBy Jun 09, 2023
Quote of the Day: “It was a hell of a fight” from Karolina Muchova to reach Roland Garros finalBy Jun 09, 2023
Geared Up: Belinda Bencic switches to Asics to pair with her Yonex frameBy Jun 09, 2023
Daniil Medvedev, Andrey Rublev post up a storm from Barcelona Grand PrixBy Jun 08, 2023
Ajla Tomljanovic, Donna Vekic reflect on origins of friendship that ‘goes beyond the tour’By Jun 08, 2023
Quote of the Day: Alexander Zverev opens up about diabetes struggles at Roland GarrosBy Jun 08, 2023
Kyrgios and Kyrie Irving collab on new Nike shoe
Published Jan 09, 2019
Two Australian athletes from different sports have collaborated in an ultimate Nike shoe mashup. The company fielded input from the Boston Celtics' Kyrie Irving and tennis' own Nick Kyrgios to create the Nike Vapor X Kyrie 5.
Kyrgios, a devoted Celtics fan, is excitedly promoting the new kicks.
Iriving, a 26-year-old from Melbourne, joined the Celtics for the 2017-18 season. He's one of Kyrgios' favorite players.
"The connection of Australian roots and that we have respect for one another's games makes the blending of these two shoes a perfect match," Iriving said in a statement.
Michael Hui, a NikeCourt senior footwear designer, came up with the idea. The shoe is usable on both the basketball and tennis court, which will suit basketball aficionado Kyrgios really well.
"There's actually a lot of similarities with the cutting and stopping, side-to-side movements that basketball players have to go through that are similar to a tennis player," Hui told Bleacher Report.
Kyrgios will wear the Vapor X Kyrie 5 during the Australian Open, which starts on Monday. The world No. 51 started his 2019 season with a second-round loss in Brisbane, but bounced back to beat Rafael Nadal in the Fast4 exhibition in Sydney.
ATP/WTA Sydney (1/5 to 1/12)
• Stefanos Tsitsipas, Frances Tiafoe, Simona Halep and Sloane Stephens headline the Sydney International. Watch live coverage on Tennis Channel Plus.
WTA Hobart (1/5 to 1/11)
• Watch the action from the Hobart International featuring Caroline Garcia, Belinda Bencic and Maria Sakkari.
ATP Auckland (1/6 to 1/11)
• See John Isner and Fabio Fognini live on Tennis Channel Plus beginning Monday, Jan. 7 at 6:00 pm ET.
FAST 4—Sydney (1/7)
• The game’s best compete in the always entertaining Fast4 format, with appearances by Nick Kyrgios, Grigor Dimitrov and Milos Raonic. Live coverage begins on Monday, Jan. 7 at 3:30pm ET.
World Tennis Challenge—Adelaide (1/7 to 1/9)
• Watch Borna Coric, CoCo Vandeweghe and Victoria Azarenka live from Adelaide starting Monday, Jan. 7 at 3:00 am ET.
AO Qualifying Rounds (1/8 to 1/11)
• Australian Open officially begins with qualifying action. Tennis Channel Plus has fall the action live! Coverage begins Tuesday, Jan. 8 at 6:00 pm ET.