Belinda Bencic withdraws from the New York hard-court swingAug 15, 2020
The Pick: Belinda Bencic vs. Sara Sorribes Tormo, WTA Ostrava second roundBy Sep 22, 2021
From Luxembourg through Indian Wells, Belinda Bencic aiming to make push towards WTA Finals returnBy Sep 16, 2021
X Factor: Emma Raducanu's star rises into maiden major semifinal, easily dispatches Bencic at US OpenBy Sep 08, 2021
US Open quarterfinal previews: Can Harris halt Zverev's win streak? Can Berrettini finally overcome Djokovic?By Sep 08, 2021
Olympic gold medalist Belinda Bencic is playing with nothing to lose. So far, she hasn’t lost that confidence, or even a setBy Sep 06, 2021
Best Tweets of the Week: Serena Williams serves up hard-hitting questionsBy Aug 29, 2021
Best looks of the week: Muguruza and Andreescu go glam for NYC eventBy Aug 29, 2021
Belinda Bencic maintains gold medal momentum in CincinnatiBy Aug 20, 2021
Belinda Bencic receives heroic welcome from Tokyo Olympics at Zurich airportBy Aug 04, 2021
Belinda Bencic withdraws from the New York hard-court swing
The world No. 8 will miss both the Western & Southern Open and US Open later this month.
Published Aug 15, 2020
Belinda Bencic became the latest top tennis player to pull out of the U.S. Open, meaning three of the four female semifinalists in 2019 will not be at the Grand Slam tournament this year.
Bencic wrote on social media on Saturday that she “made the difficult decision to skip the US swing in New York and will return to the tour starting in Rome next month.”
The Italian Open, a clay-court tuneup for the French Open, begins Sept. 14, the day after the U.S. Open ends in New York.
Bencic, a 23-year-old from Switzerland, currently is ranked No. 8, so as of now, five of WTA's the top eight players have announced they won't play at Flushing Meadows amid the coronavirus pandemic.
That includes No. 1 Ash Barty, No. 5 Elina Svitolina, No. 6 Bianca Andreescu — the reigning champion — and No. 7 Kiki Bertens.
Bencic, Svitolina and Andreescu reached the final four at the U.S. Open a year ago; the fourth semifinalist, Serena Williams, has said she plans to participate when the tournament begins Aug. 31.
Among the men who said they won't play at the US Open: 2019 champion Rafael Nadal, five-time champion Roger Federer (who is sidelined for the rest of this season after two operations on his right knee), 2016 champion Stan Wawrinka, Fabio Fognini, Gael Monfils and Nick Kyrgios.