Benoit Paire tests positive for coronavirus again, and he's not happy about itBy Dec 29, 2021
Novak Djokovic set to be granted visa to play 2023 Australian OpenBy Nov 15, 2022
"Not a matter we can lobby on": Tennis Australia keeps out of Novak Djokovic's visa applicationBy Oct 12, 2022
Carlos Moya: Rafael Nadal motivated for more big wins after Australian Open triumphBy Feb 02, 2022
Ashleigh Barty's Australian Open final triumph garners huge ratings Down UnderBy Jan 31, 2022
22 Thoughts on the 2022 Australian Open: Aussie triumphs, American surges, and much ado about DjokovicBy Jan 31, 2022
Rafael Nadal turned his Australian Open history from tragedy to triumph over five hours, for a 21st Grand Slam titleBy Jan 30, 2022
When you strike at a king: Daniil Medvedev couldn't put away Rafael Nadal in an Australian Open final that rewrote tennis historyBy Jan 30, 2022
Men's Australian Open Final Preview: Daniil Medvedev vs. Rafael NadalBy Jan 29, 2022
Special Ks: Nick Kyrgios, Thansai Kokkinakis win Australian Open men's doubles titleBy Jan 29, 2022
Benoit Paire tests positive for coronavirus again, and he's not happy about it
The mercurial Frenchman was previously ruled out of the 2020 US Open due to a positive PCR test.
Published Dec 29, 2021
WATCH: Paire played his last tour-level match of the season at the Rolex Paris Masters, where he fell to Pablo Carreño Busta in straight sets.
French player Benoit Paire has announced that he has tested positive for coronavirus—again.
The 32-year-old appears to have tested positive upon arrival in Melbourne, where he was scheduled to have played a warm-up event next week. But he will now have to go into isolation for the next 10 days.
Paire stands as the first player to officially have tested positive for the virus on a second occasion.
"Hi, my name is Benoit Paire and I have tested positive for the 25th time," he said on social media in a colorfully complaint-filled message.
He is also the second player positive among arrivals in Australia this week, with Denis Shapovalov announcing that he had tested positive in Sydney.
Paire added that he had a "runny nose" due to the virus, but "because of all the quarantines spent inside hotel rooms halfway across the world, I don't feel good mentally."
Paire's first positive came during the lead-up for the 2020 US Open, when he was placed in isolation for two weeks and could not play the event. He was then allowed to leave, having tested negative, but tested positive again in two weeks at the ATP event in Hamburg, though his participation was allowed since the positive was due to a prior infection.
He was tested again before Roland Garros the following week and was negative, allowing him to play the clay-court Slam.
This season, he was also one of the players who had to complete a hard quarantine before the Australian Open, not being allowed to leave the room to train and practice due to potential contact with someone who had tested positive. It "was difficult, and now this year starts the same way," he said.
Paire has also previously spoken about finding it mentally tough to play with no crowds and various restrictions, and received repeated warnings on court for his behavior this season.
A former Top 20 player, he is No.46 in the rankings.