ATP Monte Carlo, Monaco

Carlos Alcaraz: 'I had to play my tennis' to escape Francisco Cerundolo for first-ever Monte Carlo win

By Steve Tignor Apr 09, 2025
ATP Monte Carlo, Monaco

Jannik Sinner found his serve and forehand just when he needed them, and beat Carlos Alcaraz—and the wind—in a tactical tug of war

By Steve Tignor Apr 12, 2026
ATP Monte Carlo, Monaco

Jannik Sinner dethrones Carlos Alcaraz in Monte Carlo, will return to world No. 1

By TENNIS.com Apr 12, 2026
ATP Monte Carlo, Monaco

Preview: Carlos Alcaraz meets rival Jannik Sinner in "really special" Monte Carlo final

By Steve Tignor Apr 11, 2026
ATP Monte Carlo, Monaco

Jannik Sinner notches eighth straight win in Zverev series, reaches first Monte Carlo final

By TENNIS.com Apr 11, 2026
ATP Monte Carlo, Monaco

Monte Carlo Preview: The QF slate, including Zverev-Fonseca and Alcaraz-Bublik, should live up to the setting

By Steve Tignor Apr 09, 2026
ATP Monte Carlo, Monaco

Joao Fonseca handily wins showcase of forehands with Berrettini to reach first Masters 1000 QF in Monte Carlo

By TENNIS.com Apr 09, 2026
ATP Monte Carlo, Monaco

Valentin Vacherot shows his clay-court game is "ready to roll" with ousting of 2025 Monte Carlo finalist Musetti

By TENNIS.com Apr 08, 2026
ATP Monte Carlo, Monaco

Stan Wawrinka outlines ideal schedule for remainder of final season following Monte Carlo farewell

By TENNIS.com Apr 06, 2026
ATP Monte Carlo, Monaco

Francisco Cerundolo hands Stefanos Tsitsipas first opening Monte Carlo defeat, Greek to exit Top 60

By TENNIS.com Apr 06, 2026
MATCH POINT: Carlos Alcaraz escapes Francisco Cerundolo with three-set comeback in Monte Carlo

Advertising

“Monte…Carlitos?”

That was the question scrawled on a sign that a fan held up during Carlos “Call me Carlitos” Alcaraz’s opening-round match in Monte Carlo on Wednesday.

The question mark was very much appropriate, because the idea seemed like a bit of a long shot at the start of the Spaniard’s opening-round encounter with Francisco Cerundolo. Alcaraz, despite his mastery of clay in other locales, had never won a match in Monte Carlo, and had only played the tournament once.

Alcaraz was 0-1 in Monte Carlo previously before Wednesday's match.

Alcaraz was 0-1 in Monte Carlo previously before Wednesday's match.

Advertising

Unfortunately for Cerundolo, that’s exactly what happened. In this case, the entire match swung toward Alcaraz. From that point on, he was the one who controlled the court position, who dictated the patterns of the rallies, who broke serve at will, and who finished with a fully confident flurry of drop shots. He would lose just one more game in a 3-6, 6-0, 6-1 win in 98 minutes.

“I didn’t start well, I made a lot of mistakes, let him play inside the court and dominate the points,” Alcaraz said.

“After the first set I had to do something else. I had to play more aggressively. I had to play my tennis.”

The biggest difference, Alcaraz said, was his determination to move up and “return close to the line.” That set the tone for the way he played the rest of a point.

Advertising

By the third set, Alcaraz was anticipating everything, and was in position for any Cerundolo ground stroke. Even if the ball came to him deep and with pace, Alcaraz took it on the rise and didn’t back up. This was the Spaniard at his most efficient, controlling play without having to do anything spectacular or risky.

“I missed clay,” he wrote on the ATP’s camera lens afterward.

With this first win in Monte Carlo under his belt, Alcaraz will move on to face Daniel Altmaier on Thursday. We may not be ready to rename the town Monte Carlitos quite yet, but for one round, all of his recent doubts were cleared away. He started ice cold, and finished en fuego.