Alcaraz to "rest for a few weeks" with leg injury; Nadal on crutches following foot treatmentBy Sep 14, 2021
Rafael Nadal "determined" to return from injury layoffBy Sep 20, 2021
Can you wig it? Rafael Nadal’s multi-colored hair sparks questionsBy Sep 17, 2021
Mardy Fish salutes Federer, Nadal, tees up Next Gen in US Open previewBy Aug 25, 2021
Top seed, on the course: Rafael Nadal returns to Balearic Golf ChampionshipBy Aug 24, 2021
Rafael Nadal had "pain for months,” admits coach Carlos MoyaBy Aug 23, 2021
Facts & Stats
Ranking Reaction: Aryna Sabalenka passes Naomi Osaka for No. 2By Aug 23, 2021
Stat of the Day: 2021 US Open to be second Grand Slam without Federer or Nadal since 2000By Aug 20, 2021
With decision to end 2021 season, Rafael Nadal may benefit from post-Roland Garros refreshBy Aug 20, 2021
With foot injury, Rafael Nadal to miss US Open and remainder of 2021 seasonAug 20, 2021
Alcaraz to "rest for a few weeks" with leg injury; Nadal on crutches following foot treatment
The 18-year-old still plans to play the Masters 1000 event at Indian Wells in October, while the 20-time major champion had already ended his 2021 season.
Published Sep 14, 2021
TC Live: Thiem talks Alcaraz
The upper leg injury that forced Carlos Alcaraz to retire from his quarterfinal match at the US Open, surprising onlookers and his opponent, will keep him off the tour for a few more weeks.
The teenager stopped down a break in the second set to Felix Auger-Aliassime following a conversation with the trainer, telling press he had an adductor injury.
Following a consultation with doctors, Alcaraz announced that he has also been diagnosed with a fibrillar tear in two other leg muscles, and will "rest for a few weeks."
The layoff has also led to his withdrawal from the ATP 250 event in Metz. The world No. 55 still plans to play the Masters 1000 event at Indian Wells.
Alcaraz beat No. 3 seed Stefanos Tsitsipas in five sets in the third round of the US Open, and also won his first ATP title this season at Umag.
Spain's top-ranked player, Rafael Nadal, joined his countryman in sharing an injury update. The 20-time major champion revealed on social media that he is on crutches following a foot treatment.
"I was in Barcelona with my team and medical team to receive a treatment on my foot that will keep me a few days of rest and a few weeks off court. I’m back home now and in the process of recovery," he said.
The 35-year-old had said a few weeks ago that he would not play again this year because of the chronic problem with a small bone in his foot.
Nadal did not play between the French Open and Washington D.C., falling in his second match at the ATP 500 event. He then withdrew from Toronto as a result of the ongoing injury, before deciding to end his season.