ATP Monte Carlo, Monaco

Novak Djokovic apologizes for his “worst day” after Monte Carlo defeat, shifts focus to Roland Garros

By TENNIS.com Apr 09, 2025
ATP Monte Carlo, Monaco

Jannik Sinner found his serve and forehand just when he needed them, and beat Carlos Alcaraz—and the wind—in a tactical tug of war

By Steve Tignor Apr 12, 2026
ATP Monte Carlo, Monaco

Jannik Sinner dethrones Carlos Alcaraz in Monte Carlo, will return to world No. 1

By TENNIS.com Apr 12, 2026
ATP Monte Carlo, Monaco

Preview: Carlos Alcaraz meets rival Jannik Sinner in "really special" Monte Carlo final

By Steve Tignor Apr 11, 2026
ATP Monte Carlo, Monaco

Jannik Sinner notches eighth straight win in Zverev series, reaches first Monte Carlo final

By TENNIS.com Apr 11, 2026
ATP Monte Carlo, Monaco

Monte Carlo Preview: The QF slate, including Zverev-Fonseca and Alcaraz-Bublik, should live up to the setting

By Steve Tignor Apr 09, 2026
ATP Monte Carlo, Monaco

Joao Fonseca handily wins showcase of forehands with Berrettini to reach first Masters 1000 QF in Monte Carlo

By TENNIS.com Apr 09, 2026
ATP Monte Carlo, Monaco

Valentin Vacherot shows his clay-court game is "ready to roll" with ousting of 2025 Monte Carlo finalist Musetti

By TENNIS.com Apr 08, 2026
ATP Monte Carlo, Monaco

Stan Wawrinka outlines ideal schedule for remainder of final season following Monte Carlo farewell

By TENNIS.com Apr 06, 2026
ATP Monte Carlo, Monaco

Francisco Cerundolo hands Stefanos Tsitsipas first opening Monte Carlo defeat, Greek to exit Top 60

By TENNIS.com Apr 06, 2026
Novak Djokovic is out! Alejandro Tabilo stuns the Serbian with straight-set shakedown in Monte Carlo

Advertising

MONTE CARLO, Monaco—For the second time in 11 months at an ATP Masters 1000 clay-court event, Novak Djokovic was eliminated by left-hander Alejandro Tabilo.

Following his 6-3, 6-4 defeat to the Chilean Wednesday in the second round of the Monte Carlo Masters, the 24-time major champion revealed he wasn’t surprised about the outcome of “the worst day.”

Speaking with press, Djokovic stated, “Look, I was hoping it was not going to happen, but it was quite a high probability I'm going to play this way. Horrible feeling to play this way, and just sorry for all the people that have to witness this.”

It's too early for alarm bells, given Djokovic has exited before the quarterfinals in four of his past five Monte Carlo appearances.

It's too early for alarm bells, given Djokovic has exited before the quarterfinals in four of his past five Monte Carlo appearances.

Advertising

When asked if he could point to a reason for how it all played out, Djokovic responded, “I don't know. I don't have it. I have it and I don't have it. I don't really care.”

The 37-year-old experienced a 6-2, 6-3 third-round loss to Tabilo at last year’s Internazionali BNL d'Italia in Rome. He came into their latest contest on the back of an encouraging performance at the Miami Open, where he finished runner-up to Jakub Mensik, but downplayed any hope of carrying that momentum through when switching surfaces.

“I knew I'm gonna have a tough opponent and I knew I'm gonna probably play pretty bad. But this bad, I didn't expect,” said the Serbian.

I was hoping it was not going to happen, but it was quite a high probability I'm going to play this way. Horrible feeling to play this way, and just sorry for all the people that have to witness this. Novak Djokovic

Advertising

Djokovic, of course, is one title away from reaching the centennial mark. On what goals he might have for the European clay-court season, just one event was mentioned.

“Roland Garros,” said the current world No. 5.

Followed up a reporter, “Roland Garros? That's it?”

Affirmed Djokovic with a smile, “That’s it.”