Patrick McEnroe tests positive for COVID-19 but feels "100 percent"Mar 31, 2020
Pandemic surge hits Australian Open: Bernard Tomic's COVID-19 prediction comes true, spectators capped at 50 percentBy Jan 13, 2022
Novak Djokovic has been exempted—but his stance hasn’t been vindicatedBy Jan 04, 2022
Rafael Nadal back on track for Australian Open following COVID-19 caseBy Dec 30, 2021
Aussie Open field starts to experience effects of pandemic surge, vaccination issuesBy Dec 21, 2021
"It will happen this year": Stefanos Tsitsipas planning to get COVID-19 vaccineBy Sep 21, 2021
Going to the US Open? Proof of vaccination status now required after change in COVID-19 policiesBy Aug 27, 2021
A vaccinated Sofia Kenin to miss 2021 US Open due to positive COVID-19 testBy Aug 26, 2021
The Rally: if you wanna play a major, you must play by the local rulesJan 18, 2021
AO qualies—Kudla wins but is disqualified after positive COVID-19 testBy Jan 11, 2021
Patrick McEnroe tests positive for COVID-19 but feels "100 percent"
The former Davis Cup captain uploaded a Twitter video message on Tuesday with the news, but exuded a positive outlook. “I’m an example of someone that’s been able to fight through it," he said.
Published Mar 31, 2020
Former US Davis Cup captain and current ESPN tennis commentator Patrick McEnroe has been hunkered down in his basement for the past 11 days after showing signs of symptoms of the coronavirus.
On Tuesday, the 53-year-old uploaded a video on Twitter with a message stating he’s tested positive for COVID-19 after visiting a drive-through test center in Westchester County earlier in the day. The 1989 French Open doubles champion joins 20-year-old Thiago Seyboth Wild as member of the global tennis family to disclose contracting the illness.
“It did come back positive, that’s the bad news. The good news is I feel fine,” said McEnroe. “My symptoms have passed. I feel 100 percent. My wife Melissa is doing an unbelievable job taking care of the house, the kids and myself.”
Over the past several days, New York has evolved into the U.S. epicenter of the pandemic with a soaring number of confirmed cases, with New York City accounting for 37,453 of the state’s 66,497 (as of Monday afternoon). Extreme measures have been taken throughout the Big Apple, including plans to transform the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center into a temporary hospital occupying 350 beds, along with using Louis Armstrong Stadium as a base to operate a commissary.
McEnroe, who served as the USTA’s General Manager of Player Development from 2008-2014, echoes words of wisdom for his community to come together by taking every precaution possible.
“We’ve been on full quarantine, our entire household, for well over two weeks now. I encourage everyone to do the same. Let’s get this thing,” declared McEnroe. “I’m an example of someone that’s been able to fight through it. Thoughts and prayers to all those people who are struggling with this. We’ve got to listen and stay home.”
Andy Roddick, who led the U.S. to its last Davis Cup title in 2007 with McEnroe at the helm, tweeted, "Hang in there Cap."