Rafael Nadal "training hard" and ready for clay following back injuryBy Apr 05, 2021
Debating best-of-three sets vs. best-of-fiveBy May 21, 2021
The Tennis Conversation: Tim HenmanBy May 21, 2021
The Pick: Lorenzo Musetti vs. Sebastian Korda, ATP Lyon second roundBy May 18, 2021
In Geneva, Roger Federer loses clay-court comeback to Pablo AndujarBy May 18, 2021
The Pick: Jannik Sinner vs. Aslan Karatsev, ATP Lyon first roundBy May 17, 2021
Officials deny that 2022 Australian Open could moveBy May 17, 2021
Week in Preview: Serena, Federer lead stars tuning up for French OpenBy May 17, 2021
Nadal finds the final answer for Djokovic in roller coaster Rome finalBy May 16, 2021
Rafael Nadal battles past Novak Djokovic to win Rome for 10th timeBy May 16, 2021
Rafael Nadal "training hard" and ready for clay following back injury
Back problems forced the Spaniard to withdraw from the ATP Cup before the Australian Open along with the Miami Open last week.
Published Apr 05, 2021
Rafael Nadal is back on court and practicing for the Monte Carlo Masters next week—his first scheduled event since the Australian Open.
Back problems forced him to withdraw from the ATP Cup before the Australian Open, where he fell to Stefanos Tsitsipas in five sets. Nadal also withdrew from the Miami Open.
But Dr. Angel Ruiz Cotorro of the Spanish tennis federation (RFET), speaking to RTVE, says Nadal has done some "good training" and is ''training hard" to get ready for the clay season.
''His objective is clay, first Monte Carlo," said Ruiz Cotorro, who is also the Spaniard's longtime doctor.
Nadal would be going for his 12th title at the Masters tournament and bidding to extend his clay-court dominance for yet another season. He has not yet confirmed his other events going into the French Open, though he has frequently played Barcelona, Madrid and Rome in previous years—but also recently indicated that he wants to reduce his schedule.
Nadal is currently No. 3 in the rankings.