Tiley: 2021 Australian Open dates should be confirmed within two weeksNov 22, 2020
Opting to focus on mental health, Bianca Andreescu delays 2022 return beyond Australian swingBy Dec 06, 2021
Samantha Stosur prepares for likely final season, to begin at home in AustraliaBy Dec 03, 2021
Tennis Australia CEO Craig Tiley confirms unvaccinated tennis players ruled out of 2022 Australian OpenBy Nov 19, 2021
Roger Federer won't play Australian Open and would be "incredibly surprised to play Wimbledon"By Nov 17, 2021
Roger Federer unlikely to play Australian Open, suggests coach Ivan LjubicicBy Nov 15, 2021
Sofia Kenin adds dad back on coaching team, aims to return next seasonBy Nov 12, 2021
Rafael Nadal returns to practice court, aiming for December return at Abu Dhabi exhibitionBy Nov 02, 2021
"If they don't play, all the better for me": Benoit Paire weighs in on Australian Open vax protocolsBy Nov 02, 2021
Aussie John Millman believes most unvaccinated players would agree to 14-day quarantine in order to play Australian OpenBy Oct 29, 2021
Tiley: 2021 Australian Open dates should be confirmed within two weeks
Tennis Australia's Chief Executive said reports the tournament might be delayed, even as late as April, are "speculation."
Published Nov 22, 2020
MELBOURNE, Australia -- Tennis Australia said the dates for next year's Australian Open in Melbourne should be known within two weeks.
Chief executive Craig Tiley responded on Sunday to unsourced reports the season-opening Grand Slam event might be pushed back until February, March or even later.
The tournament is scheduled to start on Jan. 18. But questions remain over quarantine arrangements for players and their entourages -- an estimated 2,500 people.
In a statement, Tiley said Tennis Australia is "doing everything we can to finalize the summer of tennis as soon as possible."
"Our intention is to deliver a summer in conditions that allow the players to prepare and perform at their best and the fans to enjoy their efforts -- all in an environment that is safe for all concerned," he said.
Victoria state Premier Daniel Andrews has said his government is working to smooth out any quarantine issues. The government's previous reluctance to allow players to arrive before Jan. 1 had been a stumbling block to confirming tournament dates.
With a requirement to complete 14 days in managed isolation, players might not have been released until days before matches began.
"We are working closely with the Victorian Government on a plan that takes into account the needs of the players, fans, our partners and staff and is of major benefit to the Victorian and Australian economies," Tiley said.
"We are continuing our urgent talks with local health authorities regarding quarantining and bio-security requirements and are confident we will have decisions soon."
Tiley said TA is "acutely aware" of the need for certainty but also of reaching a solution with the state government that ensures the safety of the entire community.
"We look forward to announcing our ticket on-sale date as soon as all arrangements with the relevant authorities are finalized and we have more information on crowd sizes. We anticipate this on-sale date will be within the next two weeks," he said.
Tiley said reports the tournament might be delayed, even as late as April, are "speculation."
Melbourne, Australia's second-largest city, was hit hard by COVID-19 during the winter but has now gone 23 days without a new infection.