Tomic unsuccessful at overturning Wimbledon prize money fineBy Jul 21, 2019
AO finalists Halep, Thiem, Kvitova begin bids; Shapo survives in fiveFeb 08, 2021
POLL: Which men's qualifier will go the farthest?By Feb 06, 2021
Top 5 Photos 1/18: Osaka waves to media in AustraliaBy Jan 18, 2021
Tomic's girlfriend complains about food, hair careJan 18, 2021
Qualies Corner: Troicki, Marino seal main-draw berths in MelbourneBy Jan 13, 2021
Qualies Corner: Brown, Pironkova close in on Melbourne main drawBy Jan 12, 2021
Qualies Corner: Tomic, Bouchard maintain Melbourne bids in Middle EastBy Jan 11, 2021
Fognini, McEnroe top hotheads countdownMay 15, 2020
Schnur: Roger, Rafa "selfish," need to protest qualifying conditionsJan 14, 2020
Tomic unsuccessful at overturning Wimbledon prize money fine
The 26-year-old Australian got a $56,000 fine, which was his entire first-round earnings.
Published Jul 21, 2019
Unlike Anna Tatishvili, Bernard Tomic was largely unsuccessful in his recent appeal after being penalized for his first-round performance at Wimbledon.
The 26-year-old Australian was handed a $56,000 fine, which was his entire first-round prize money, for a 6-1, 6-2, 6-4 loss to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. His play, according to tournament officials, did not meet the Grand Slam First Round Performance Rule that players "perform to the required professional standard'' in the first round.
Tomic's appeal was denied at least in part because his "historical record of misconduct at Grand Slams... provides little justification for an adjustment," according to a portion of the decision quoted by the New York Times.
But the world No. 103-ranked Tomic was also informed that he would receive 25 percent of the fine back if he does not receive another code violation in the next eight Grand Slams.
Tomic told the New York Times he planned to appeal again, and would donate anything returned to an Australian charity.
"I don’t care about this 25 percent, I care about the right thing for players in the future," he said.
Tomic played four events in the build-up to Wimbledon, reaching a quarterfinal the week before in Antalya. He had previously reached the third round of an ATP Challenger in Surbiton, retired in the first round of the Nottingham ATP Challenger, and fallen in the first round of qualifying at Queen's Club.
Tomic won just six games in the first round of Roland Garros, and had retired the week before at the ATP event in Lyon. He was not fined in Paris.
Tatishvili was fined her entire first-round prize money of $52,000 at the French Open for a 6-0, 6-1 defeat to Maria Sakkari. She had her fine entirely retracted following a "heightened point-by-point review" that indicated she was "competing professionally from the first to the very last point."
She was playing her first event since 2017, and began her comeback from injury at the French Open, entering on a protected ranking.
The two players were the first to finish their matches and be fined their entire prize money under the rule. Mischa Zverev was the first player to be fined under the new rule when he retired during the 2018 Australian Open, and was docked $45,000.