Former champs Cornet, Barthel out in first round at Hobart

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

Alize Cornet won the Hobart title in 2016, but lost in the first round this year. (AP)

HOBART, Australia (AP) — Former champions Alize Cornet and Mona Barthel were ousted in the first round of the Hobart International on Sunday, each losing in straight sets.

Mihaela Buzarnescu beat fourth-seeded Cornet 6-2, 6-4 and Varvara Lepchenko had a 6-0, 7-6 (4) win over 2012 winner Barthel.

Cornet was hampered by an upper leg injury but said she didn't think it would be a concern for the Australian Open, which starts Jan. 15.

"My leg was a bit painful ... maybe I was a little bit too focused on my leg and not enough on the game," Cornet, the 2016 Hobart winner, said. "I was totally passive and she was just doing whatever she wanted on the court — that was really frustrating for me."

In other first-round matches, Yulia Putintseva had a 6-3, 6-3 win over Naomi Osaka and Beatriz Haddad Maia beat Lizette Cabrera 6-3, 6-2.

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

More Stories

2020 Top Matches, No. 10: Federer saves 7 match points, beats Sandgren

The end was indeed nigh, but it never actually arrived: Federer saved seven match points.

Distance Learning with Paul & Prakash: How to serve the right way

In this episode, Paul and Prakash break down the game's most important shot, the serve. 

Karolina Pliskova adds Sascha Bajin to her team for 2021

The Czech parted ways with Dani Vallverdu earlier this month.