Thursday was filled with thrilling grass-court upsets and performances. Many top players fell but some were able to fight through the trend. These are the Top 5 photos from the action-packed day.
1. Yulia Putintseva came to play against Naomi Osaka in Birmingham. Putintseva looked eager and up for the challenge in the second-round matchup, while Osaka seemed to have little energy. Putintseva took full advantage in her 6-2, 6-3 victory over the world No. 1 and with Ashleigh Barty advancing to the quarterfinals, Osaka is at risk of dropping from her No.1 spot. The Australian can leapfrog Osaka if she wins the title.
2. Nicolas Mahut, who delivered two inspiring victories at his home major in Paris, continued his winning ways on the grass at Queen's. The Frenchman, a qualifier at the ATP 500 event, grabbed another victory against three-time Grand Slam champion Stan Wawrinka on Thursday. Mahut will battle against Gilles Simon in the quarterfinals on Friday.
3. Diego Schwartzman continued the day of upsets when he ousted defending champion Marin Cilic, 6-4, 6-4 in London. Schwartzman slipped and fell during the match but was unfazed, closing out the world No. 15. The Argentine held a 1-8 lifetime record on grass at the start of the tournament but he moved into his first ATP quarterfinal on the surface.
4. The 20-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer avoided the upset train, edging past Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, 7-6, (5), 4-6, 7-5, in the Halle second round. The nine-time champion reached his 17th quarterfinal in 17 appearances at the event, and will carry an 8-0 record against his next opponent, Roberto Bautista Agut.
5. Venus Williams continued her grass-court campaign against Wang Qiang. The seven-time Grand Slam champion comfortably defeated Wang, 6-3, 6-2, in Birmingham. In Friday's quarterfinals, Williams will face off against French Open champion Barty, who won their lone prior meeting in Cincinnati two years ago.