From meeting with the press to a trio of former No. 1-ranked players on the schedule, it was a jam-packed day in Cincinnati. Here are the Top 5 photos from Monday at the Western & Southern Open.
1. Taking the court for his first singles match since undergoing a hip resurfacing surgery in January, two-time former champion Andy Murray was sure to document the milestone moment. The Brit faced Richard Gasquet, who took their first-round matchup, 6-4, 6-4.
2. Naomi Osaka was all smiles during her media day appearance. The two-time major winner officially retained the No. 1 ranking Monday after her quarterfinal showing in Toronto was enough to overtake Ashleigh Barty.
3. After saving two break points at 5-5 in the first set, 39-year-old Venus Williams surged ahead to defeat Lauren Davis, 7-5, 6-2, in an all-American clash. Williams had lost four consecutive matches coming in and will take on 2019 WTA match wins leader Kiki Bertens, the No. 5 seed, in the second round.
4. Radu Albot saved all six break points he faced to knock out 2016 champion Marin Cilic, 6-4, 7-6 (6). Albot, ranked a career-best No. 39, won his first ATP title earlier this season in Delray Beach. Cilic will fall outside of the Top 20 as a result of his first-round exit.
5. Sloane Stephens fields questions during her media roundtable. The 2017 US Open is searching for her first victory of the North American hard-court season after suffering opening-round losses in Washington DC and Toronto. The eighth-seeded Stephens will face Yulia Putintseva in the second round on Wednesday.