The 2019 WTA season is nearly in the books, but the world's best have all come together one last time to put on a spectacular showing in Shenzhen. These are the Top 5 photos from Friday's Shiseido WTA Finals launch.
1. The squad's all here! The top eight competitors were glammed up for Friday's draw ceremony and the unveiling of the two round-robin groups. This year's four major winners were divided evenly, with Ashleigh Barty and Naomi Osaka landing in the Red Group and Simona Halep and Bianca Andreescu placed in the Purple Group.
2. Reigning champion Elina Svitolina will attempt to end another year on a high note when she takes on No. 2 seed Karolina Pliskova Monday. The most recent meeting between the two came at last year's edition of the WTA Finals, when it was held in Singapore. Svitolina used her consistency to outlast Pliskova in a three-set battle.
3. Osaka will make her second consecutive appearance. The now 22-year-old triumphed twice during the Asian swing, at Tokyo and Beijing, to return to the level that saw her claim two major titles, including January's Australian Open. Osaka will kick off this year's event against the player she defeated in that Melbourne final, Petra Kvitova.
4. Andreescu has been living the teenage dream in 2019. The Canadian impressed in winning titles at Indian Wells and Toronto, before capturing her first Slam in her US Open main draw debut. In her WTA Finals debut, the 19-year-old will face Halep for the first time on Monday.
5. Halep endured a tough Asian swing after falling to Ekaterina Alexandrova in the second round of Beijing due to a lingering back injury, which previously forced her to retire in Wuhan. Rested and recharged, Halep was all smiles during the draw ceremony. The Romanian finished runner-up five years ago to Serena Williams.