It was an interesting day in Shanghai as the world's top names were stopped by rising stars. These are the Top 5 photos from Friday's action.
1. Roger Federer is known for his composure and calmness on and off the court. But on Friday, the 38-year-old Swiss received a point penalty after sending a ball into the Shanghai stands during his quarterfinal match against Alexander Zverev. The two-time Shanghai Masters champion was dismissed by the No. 5 seed, 3-6, 7-6 (7), 3-6, in front of a packed Center Court crowd.
2. Stefanos Tsitsipas posted a shocking upset on the hard-courts in Shanghai. The 21-year-old fought his way past world No. 1 Novak Djokovic, 3-6, 7-5, 6-3, to advance to the semifinals. The Greek will next face US Open finalist Daniil Medvedev, who defeated him earlier this year in Monte Carlo. In four tries, the Greek has yet to win a match against the Russian.
3. Daniil Medvedev kept his winning momentum going against Fabio Fognini. The Russian posted another straight-set victory, over the Italian, to make his way into the semifinals. Since losing to Rafael Nadal in the US Open final, Medvedev has won his last seven matches, and claimed the St. Petersburg on home soil.
4. Doubles partners Jamie Murray and Neal Skupski roared through their doubles quarterfinal. The pair defeated Raven Klassen and Michael Venus, 6-3, 7-5 (5), in Shanghai. The duo will be looking to claim their second ATP title of the year together, and are now just two matches away.
5. Bruno Soares and Mate Pavic upset the year-end No.1 doubles tandem Robert Farah and Juan Sebastian Cabal. The No. 8 seeds decisively claimed the quarterfinal match, 6-4, 6-2, and will next face Murray and Skupski for a ticket into the Shanghai final.