Former SW19 semifinalist Sam Querrey laments likely loss of Wimbledon

Former SW19 semifinalist Sam Querrey laments likely loss of Wimbledon

"I'd rather go play and lose first round and lose all [360] points and just be able to play Wimbledon," said the 2017 semifinalist, who is scheduled to compete in World TeamTennis in 2020.

With Wimbledon appearing set to announce its cancellation, Sam Querrey, a semifinalist at the All England Club in 2017 and a quarterfinalist last year, has come to grips with losing one of his favorite tournaments.

"It's not official, but it does appear Wimbledon and the grass-court season will be cancelled," the world No. 45 said. "I saw it coming. I think everyone saw it coming. We've got to get this virus under control."

Wimbledon will be one in a long list of tournaments postponed or cancelled so far due to the coronavirus pandemic. Roland Garros moved its start date to September 20, while parts of the US Open venue are being turned into a hospital and relief center for New Yorkers.

"Not only just because it's Wimbledon, but every tournament that gets cancelled, it's such a huge bummer," Querrey said. "It's hard to start practicing because we don't know the start date of when we're going to play."

Unlike the French Open, Wimbledon lacks the luxury of switching months, with its famous grass so weather-specific.

The 32-year-old has thrived at the All England Club. In 2016, he memorably ended Novak Djokovic's 30-match Grand Slam winning streak, and in 2017, he upset another world No. 1, Andy Murray. 


Getty Images

Querrey, a member of the ATP Council, has been in the loop on some of the big decisions made in recent weeks, including the ranking freeze.

"I'd rather go play and lose first round and lose all [360] points and just be able to play Wimbledon," he said. "To miss it is worse than to worry about defending points."

While tournament cancellations have affected Querrey's career plans, the good news is he's getting to spend unexpected time at home with his one-month-old son, Ford Austin. He also hasn't impacted by the Olympics moving to 2021, saying that the Games weren't on his radar, as he'd rather compete in domestic tournaments and World TeamTennis. 

Thanks to a long WTT career, Querrey got to take part in one of the last pro tennis matches from 2020: the WTT Celebrity All-Star Match in San Diego. Held on March 1, the exhibition featured the Bryan brothers, Monica Puig, Madison Keys, CoCo Vandeweghe, Ryan Harrison and Taylor Townsend, along with an off-court appearance from Maria Sharapova. 

While it's unlikely that WTT season won't also be impacted, the Celebrity All-Star Match will be some of the first new tennis aired during the coronavirus pandemic when it premieres on Saturday afternoon (1:30 p.m. ET, CBS Sports).

"It's the first time they had an All-Star event to get everyone excited about the actual WTT season that's going to be in July," Querrey said. "Hopefully we have it."