Dominic Thiem has apologized for any role he played in events that led to the cancellation of the Adria Tour organized by Novak Djokovic.
The final day of its Croatia event and two other scheduled stops were canceled with four players, including Djokovic, testing positive for coronavirus. Some team members are also positive.
"I was shocked when I got the news," Thiem said in a statement on social media.
The event's first two stops had thousands in the stands and the players had regular interaction off the court, including going to a nightclub. Thiem won the first stage in Belgrade, defeating Filip Krajinovic in the championship match.
The 26-year-old Austrian said that following months of no tour tournaments and competing in front of empty stands, the players had been "more than happy about [having] the fans at the event.”
"We trusted the Serbian government's [coronavirus] rules, but we have been too optimistic. Our behavior was a mistake, we acted too euphorically. I am extremely sorry," he said.
But unlike Alexander Zverev, Andrey Rublev, and Marin Cilic, who did not test positive and also issued statements, Thiem is not self-isolating. He has since played events in France and Austria, and said he has had five tests in 10 days, all negative.
Thiem will return for another weekend of competition at the Ultimate Tennis Showdown in France, where he is scheduled to face David Goffin Saturday and Matteo Berrettini Sunday. He is also slated to play an event in Kitzbuhel in two weeks, followed by an exhibition in Germany.