Simona Halep says she's "recovering well" after contracting COVID-19

Simona Halep says she's "recovering well" after contracting COVID-19

“I wanted to let you know that I tested positive for COVID-19,” the Romanian wrote on her Twitter account Saturday. “I am feeling good… We will get through this together.”

World No. 2 Simona Halep is “feeling good” after becoming the highest-profile WTA player to disclose a positive test for COVID-19.

The two-time major champion, who previously opted out of the US Open with “health at the heart of her decision” in August, shared the news on Twitter Saturday.

“I wanted to let you know that I tested positive for COVID-19,” the Romanian wrote. “I am self-isolating at home and am recovering well from mild symptoms.

“I am feeling good… We will get through this together.”

Europe is experiencing an alarming surge of positive tests, with France and Germany among the countries enacting new lockdown measures to combat the coronavirus spike. On Friday, Romania continued to trend in the wrong direction with another new record number of reported cases, registering 6,546.

Halep last appeared at Roland Garros, where she was outclassed by eventual champion Iga Swiatek in the round of 16. Before that defeat, the 27-year-old had produced a 17-match win streak, yielding three titles. Two of those triumphs occurred after the WTA tour resumed following a five-month hiatus.