Wanting "to minimize risks", Andy Murray withdraws from Delray Beach

Wanting "to minimize risks", Andy Murray withdraws from Delray Beach

“After much deliberation with my team, I’ve decided not to travel to play in Delray Beach,” Murray said in press release shared by the event Thursday.

Former world No. 1 Andy Murray has withdrawn from next week’s Delray Beach Open after weighing COVID-19 and travel considerations.

Murray had accepted a wild card into the ATP 250 event, an announcement that was revealed on Christmas Day. But by Wednesday, his name and images had been removed from the tournament’s website. The news was made official Thursday.

“After much deliberation with my team, I’ve decided not to travel to play in Delray Beach,” Murray said in press release shared by the event. “Given the increase in COVID rates and the transatlantic flights involved, I want to minimize the risks ahead of the Australian Open. I’m really thankful for the understanding of the tournament and I look forward to playing there soon.”

British No. 1 Daniel Evans has also pulled out. World No. 14 Milos Raonic is currently in line to be the top seed. Three of the past five champions, Reilly Opelka (2020), Frances Tiafoe (2018) and Sam Querrey (2016), are among the entrants.