Evening, folks! Did you miss me last week? (Lie if you didn’t.) Thanks to Pete for the break, and TWibe, make sure to get your paws on his new book, Whitetail Nation.
So what did all of the stateside TWibers do to celebrate Thanksgiving?
My holiday was pretty low-key, as I spent the day connecting with loved ones (including a 4-hour Skype call with my sister . . . I guess we’re really thankful for each other!) and had a quiet dinner at home. Quiet but lavish; even vegetarians can pull off a heckuva Thanksgiving spread. Stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, roasted pumpkin, pumpkin pie . . . we didn’t miss the turkey for a second.
Did anyone brave the crowds and catch some good Black Friday deals today? (I saw a commercial for one door buster sale starting at 3 AM. Really? I’m not even asleep by 3 AM most nights. Come to think of it, that would’ve fit in my schedule perfectly.)
In last year’s Thanksgiving DC post, I wrote a “What I’m Thankful For” list, focusing on tennis and TW. I’m reprising it today, since it gives us a chance to step back from the debate, the snark, the frustration, and the frazzle, and simply reflect on how this sport has enriched our lives, however superficially. Here’s my light-hearted effort this year:
- Somehow pulling off trips to four tournaments this year—Indian Wells, Toronto, Cincy, U.S. Open—and having the time of my life at each
- The bonds I’ve forged with members of this wonderfully insane (insanely wonderful?) TW community, both online and in person
- The collegial, warm, harmonious Deuce Club atmosphere
- The absurd accessibility to players, journalists, and fans afforded to us via Twitter (actually, my love affair with Twitter has ended, but I still appreciate how it's transformed the tennis-following experience)
- Live streams!
- This stunning tribute to the women's game
- John Isner Tweeting about wrestling
- Those Basel pizza party photos
- Elena Dementieva
- Pros having just as much difficulty with contact lenses as me
- . . .
I could go on and on. Now it’s your turn. What are you thankful for as it relates to tennis and/or TW?
Have a fantastic weekend, guys!