Report: Nadal to be offered $1.2 million to play Vina del Mar

by: Matt Cronin | December 13, 2012

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

TENNIS.com

A report in the Chilean newspaper La Tercera says the Vina de Mar tournament is planning to offer Rafael Nadal a $1.2 million appearance fee to play there. Vina del Mar, a clay-court event, is the first stop in Latin America’s ‘Golden Swing” and begins the week of February 4, right after the first round of Davis Cup.

Nadal, who has been out since Wimbledon due to a knee injury, will return to the tour at the beginning of the 2013 season in Doha. He also scheduled to play the Australian Open and is considering playing Davis Cup against Canada in Vancouver.

Nadal has said at various times this year that he would like to reduce the number of hard-court tournaments he plays to lessen the wear and tear on his knees. Nadal has already committed to playing Acapulco, which is also played on clay and begins on February 25.

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

More Stories

Kim Clijsters to work with Yanina Wickmayer during Wimbledon

The 27-year-old confirmed that the four-time Grand Slam champion is not her coach, though.

Serena Williams' latest shot: pregnant and nude on Vanity Fair cover

The 23-time Grand Slam champ is seen in profile with her right arm covering her breasts. 

Andre Agassi to coach Djokovic at Wimbledon, stay for all his matches

The pair previously worked together at the French Open.