Murray hasn't heard of any U.S. Open boycott plans
MELBOURNE, Australia -- Andy Murray says he hasn't heard of any plans for a boycott of the U.S. Open over an added day without extra compensation.
The tournament is moving to a Monday men's final.
"I know that the ATP are not particularly happy with the Monday final. I know that's an issue because however much revenue they make from having an extra day on their tournament hasn't really reflected in the increase in the prize money," Murray said Monday after his fourth-round win over Gilles Simon at the Australian Open.
"Since the player meeting, I haven't discussed with any of the players what was said there, what the plans are," Murray said.
He said the players have been advocating for increased prize money, but not with an additional day of play.
"I think that's what they're disappointed with," said Murray, who won his only Grand Slam title at the 2012 U.S. Open. "But I personally haven't spoken with anyone about boycotting the event."
"I don't want to go into that here at all, not the place for it," he added. "Got the second week of a Slam to focus on. Can discuss that after the event. "
Last year, organizers of the Australian Open were also faced with the threat of a player strike, in part due to discontent over how prize money was distributed at the major tournaments.
The Australian Open responded by taking the lead among Grand Slams in increasing prize money this year, making it the richest event.