Nadal unsure whether he will play Indian Wells

by: Matt Cronin February 17, 2013

Tags: Rafael Nadal

Rafael Nadal says he’s undecided as to whether or not he will play the Indian Wells Masters, which begins on March 6. Nadal, who reached the final of Vina del Mar last week and won the Brazil Open on Sunday, will take a week off before he plays a clay-court tournament in Acapulco. Indian Wells begins the following week; the Spaniard just came back after seven months off due to knee trouble.

“I think of Acapulco and nothing else,” he told reporters in Sao Paulo. "We are not in a position to think weeks ahead. We'll go day by day, week by week. Let's see how my knee responds in Acapulco, we will discuss when we finish all this clay court [swing] what has happened during these three tournaments and what I thought about it. Then we will see if we are ready to play in Indian Wells or not. It is not a matter of better rivals or surface, is a matter of how my knee is progressing. I have no problem playing against better [quality] opponents better because I accept losing or winning. I understand that it’s been a long time since I competed at the highest level. I have had only had two weeks getting rhythm, but I need time to continue to improve and become competitive."

More Stories

Kentucky resident brings the joys of tennis to local children

Dee Maynard continues her mission to bring tennis to economically challenged communities. 

Australian Open stepping up efforts to prevent match fixing

The tournament will employ two investigative officers on-site. 

Bernard Tomic admits he's 'not the brightest,' sets Top 10 goal

The 24-year-old Australian has fallen to No. 26 in the world.