Zeballos apologizes for del Potro remark

by: Matt Cronin | February 06, 2013

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

Horacio Zeballos apologizes on Twitter to anyone whom he offended when he replied “Who?” to a question as to whether the absent Juan Martin del Potro had texted the team congratulations after Argentina beat Germany in Davis Cup last weekend. Zeballos said the team did receive a message from del Potro after the press conference has ended. Del Potro has decided not to play Davis Cup this year.

“I was simply absorbed in other thoughts and I did not hear the question and I said 'Who?'” I want to apologize to anyone who was offended by my [press conference], especially del Potro and he knows that I have great respect for him as a great player and many people know that I have always said that if Argentina wants to win Davis [Cup] he has to be on the team. He is a pillar of our sport. It was a mistake because I’m inexperienced in front of the cameras.”

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

More Stories

Last Year Today: Serena Williams stuns in 'incomparable' WSJ spread

The camera truly let Serena's personality and presence do the communicating.  

Born with no lower left arm, Alex Hunt earns first ATP ranking point

The 23-year-old played college tennis in the U.S., and is ranked No. 49 in New Zealand. 

Eight-time champ Federer tops Zverev to reach Halle quarterfinal

The 35-year-old Swiss next plays defending champion Florian Mayer.