Ferrer was exhausted in loss to Nadal

by: Matt Cronin | March 03, 2013

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

After Rafael Nadal crushed defending champion David Ferrer, 6-0, 6-2, in the Acapulco final, Ferrer—who  had defended titles already this year at Auckland and Buenos Aires – says he wasn't fit enough to compete with the 11-time Grand Slam champion.

"If I have to lose to someone I'm glad it's with him," Ferrer told reporters. “I’m glad he’s back though I have been struck [hard]. Rafa was at a much higher [level]. I lacked energy, was exhausted, I was not in a position to compete with Rafa, but no excuse. He was much better than me. Tennis is just [like that] and that’s the way it was. He was superior.”

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

More Stories

WATCH My Tennis Life: Safarova takes over beautiful Mallorca, Spain

The Czech reached the quarterfinals in Mallorca last week.

WATCH My Tennis Life: Donaldson jets off to London

The 21-year-old lost in Queen's Club first round to fellow American and friend Tiafoe.

At Queen's Club, Djokovic reaches first ATP final since last July

This will be the Serb's 99th career ATP World Tour final.