The ladies of the WTA are in Charleston, South Carolina, this week for the kickoff event of the clay-court season, the Family Circle Cup. Serena Williams, Caroline Wozniacki, Venus Williams, and a host of other stars and up-and-coming pros are on hand for the proceedings, and took part in a Sunday night red-carpet walk and player party. Here, in no particular order, are the Spin's thoughts on some of the hot-shot entrances.
1. Jelena Jankovic's colorful, stylish heels: tassled and classy while still fun, just like their owner. And JJ also eagerly invites spring to join us stateside with her white pants.
2. Venus stuns with her heart-hoop earrings, sassy rouge lips, hip patterned tee, and short, slightly retro hair. I get a bit of a Janelle Monae vibe from that hair. This is my favorite look of the night.
3. Sloane Stephens's smile could launch a thousand servers (or something like that), but it remains that I'd like to see her color it up with her clothes more often. She looks so good in bright colors, and it's April now. Maybe Jankovic should take her shopping.
4. Her hair looks oddly flat, but Wozniacki's black leather jacket is positively bad-ass.
5. Eugenie Bouchard gives good face, plain as that, and her look is trendy, hip, and young—precisely what she should be sporting.
6. Two words for Mona Barthel: Oh, no. That's the look some of my fraternity brothers took to at times. She may feel comfortable in it, and that's fine. At an event like this, she can assuredly do better.
7. Conversely, I'm loving Kristina Mladenovic's polka-dotted top.
8. Lucie Safarova's smoky eye makeup, paired smartly with the bright blue bottom she's wearing.
9. Grace Min (age 18) and Victoria Duval (17) are American kids on the rise, and their style is funky and laidback, especially on Duval.
Whose look was your own favorite? Sound off below.
Got a thought, a tip, or a point to make? Hit me on Twitter @jonscott9.