Disatrous match lead Bartoli to rehire dad

Saturday, May 25, 2013 /by
AP Photo
AP Photo

Marion Bartoli tells TENNIS.com that she is back working full-time with her father, Walter, as coach, even though she previously said she was pleased they had the courage to split and were trying new things in their life.

“With my dad sometimes we just can understand each other without speaking,” she said. “And when I lost my match in Monterrey first round to Coco [Vandeweghe], it was not only that I lost the match, it’s the way I played. I think it was all-time low level I probably ever played since 15 years or something. I couldn’t strike two balls in a row inside the court. It was horrible. So when he saw me coming back from Mexico and he saw my face, he understood right away that I just needed a bit of help. It turned out that two weeks later, maybe ten days later, I was playing some great matches in Fed Cup."

Bartoli said that she didn’t feel lost while he was gone, but couldn’t find her way with other coaches.

“I was clear in my thoughts and clear of what I wanted to do and whatever,” she said. “But it’s just I’m not a tennis coach. I’m a player. I just couldn’t find the right thing to do every day to improve and to feel good on the court again. Of course, my dad, with all the experience he has with me, knows the best what I need to do to be in good shape.”

Bartoli said she is willing to hire a new physio or hitting partner to work with both her and her father.

Before commenting, please read our Posting Guidelines.

Subscribe to Tennis Magazine - Just $10 per year
Top Ranked Players
More Rankings