Federer: Racquet didn't cause loss

by: Matt Cronin | July 20, 2013

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

AP Photo

With his loss to 114–ranked qualifier Federico Delbonis in the Hamburg semifinals today, Roger Federer has lost in back-to-back tournaments to players ranked outside of the Top 100 for the first time since the summer of 2002.

World No. 116 Sergiy Stakhovsky upset the 17-time Grand Slam winner at Wimbledon.

Federer is undergoing a racquet change, switching to a new 98-inch prototype that is not available to consumers yet, Wilson’s Jon Muir told the Wall Street Journal.

Four-time Hamburg champion Federer said the racquet did not play a role in his loss.

"I don’t think it had much to do with the racquet today,” Federer told reporters. “I tried everything I could at this tournament. It’s been a difficult week throughout. But I’m happy I fought through many matches. It gives me the matches I was looking for."
 

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

More Stories

Svitolina defends Italian Open title as Halep is injured again

Halep was treated by a trainer for an apparent back problem.

After lopsided loss in Rome, Naomi Osaka introspective and indecisive

"I'm trying to figure out what type of person I am," she said after a 6-1, 6-0 defeat.

Close to becoming No. 1, Vesnina, Makarova appear to split in doubles

The Russians had been playing together since 2012 and just won the title in Madrid.