Kozlov, 15, pushes Przysiezny in Newport

by: Matt Cronin | July 10, 2013

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

TENNIS.com

Stefan Kozlov, 15, nearly defeats Poland’s Michal Przysiezny in a 6-3, 6-7 (9), 6-4 loss at Newport. Kozlov, who reached the Wimbledon boys’ quarterfinals, received a wild card into the event.

“In five or six years, I think he will be very good. I wish him all the best,” Przysiezny told reporters. “Normally you can’t practice with a 15-year-old, and here I almost lost the match…He hit unbelievable a few shots. It was very tough for me to play from the baseline. If I serve good, he returns deep.”

Kozlov, who cramped in the third set of his defeat to Britain’s Kyle Edmund at Wimbledon, slipped and fell on his right hip in Newport and needed a medical timeout in the third set.

“I should have drank more,” said Kozlov, who added that while he was happy how he played “I should have won.”

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

More Stories

TURF TALK: CONSIDERING THE TOURS AS WIMBLEDON BECKONS

Grass, tennis' most unpredictable surface, is an apt battleground in this uncertain time.

Maria Sharapova to return in mid-July for World TeamTennis

She'll then compete at the hard-court tournament in Stanford, on July 31.

Last Year Today: Serena Williams stuns in 'incomparable' WSJ spread

The camera truly let Serena's personality and presence do the communicating.