Cilic cited injury to hide failed drug test

by: AP September 24, 2013

Tags: Marin Cilic

AP Photo

LONDON (AP)—A tennis tribunal says Marin Cilic hid behind the excuse of a knee injury to withdraw from Wimbledon this year to avoid negative publicity after failing a doping test.

The Croatian player was suspended for nine months last week by the International Tennis Federation after testing positive for a banned stimulant at a tournament in Munich in May.

The ITF's anti-doping tribunal released its findings of the case on Tuesday, saying Cilic pulled out of Wimbledon before his second-round match against Kenny de Schepper on the same day he accepted a provisional doping suspension and waived his right to testing of his backup `B' sample.

The statement says Cilic "withdrew from Wimbledon, citing a knee injury to avoid adverse publicity.''

The ITF has accepted the player's contention that he ingested the stimulant inadvertently in a glucose tablet and wasn't trying to cheat.
 

More Stories

Kentucky resident brings the joys of tennis to local children

Dee Maynard continues her mission to bring tennis to economically challenged communities. 

Australian Open stepping up efforts to prevent match fixing

The tournament will employ two investigative officers on-site. 

Bernard Tomic admits he's 'not the brightest,' sets Top 10 goal

The 24-year-old Australian has fallen to No. 26 in the world.